Spring into action to avoid water damage
Water is the top cause of damage to homes, and repairs can be extremely expensive and hard to complete.
Here are a few easy and inexpensive tips that can help you protect your home as the ice and snow melt away and the spring showers start.
Maintain what you have
- Remove snow from around the foundation to a place where it can melt and drain away from the foundation
- Remove debris from the nearest storm drain
- Clean out eavestroughs and window wells
- Maintain plumbing, fixtures and appliances
- Test your sump pump
- Clean out your backwater valve
Complete simple upgrades
- In your basement, store valuables and hazardous materials in watertight containers or remove them from the basement altogether
- Uncover your basement floor drain and remove any obstructions
- Make sure your downspouts extend so they discharge meltwater at least two metres from your foundation
- Install window well covers if you don’t have them
- Install and maintain flood alarms on appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers
For more details on protecting your home from floods, including more complex upgrades, check out the Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation’s Home Flood Protection Check-Up.
You’re already dealing with a lot of uncertainty, don’t let the transition from winter to spring cause you more stress. Look for problems before they occur and act sooner rather than later to avoid greater expense.